1 Dish 3 Ways : quinoa, Mushrooms, and Kale
Ah leftovers.. Something I'm never really thrilled about. For some reason the idea of eating the same thing over and over just gives me the blues. It's like I have foodie ADD. On the other hand, the idea of throwing money down the garbage disposal is not something that really excites me either. Last week I challenged myself to try to waste as little food as possible. After cooking Sunday dinner, which included a side dish of quinoa, kale, and mushrooms (recipe below), there was more than enough quinoa leftover to last a few more days. I knew that I would have to get creative, because eating it by itself was not an option.
Quinoa, Kale, and Mushrooms
5 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup Baby Bella mushrooms , roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Onions, diced
- 1 cup Quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 6 cups of Kale, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Fresh thyme, minced
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add in the mushrooms, garlic, and onions and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes ( stir frequently)
- Once cooked, add in the quinoa and chicken broth and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked, add in the chopped kale, stir and cover for about 5 minutes until the kale begins to wilt.
With a little creativity and a few extra ingredients I was able to remix this side dish into the next day's breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Breakfast : Quinoa, Kale, and Mushroom, and Egg Bake
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of milk or half and half ( to make the eggs extra fluffy
- Shredded Mozzerella Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Fill a greased ramekin half way with the quinoa,kale, and mushroom mixture
- Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over the quinoa mixture
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste
- Top with shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until set. Let cool in the ramekin for 3 minutes. Run a small rubber spatula or spoon around the edge of the ramekin then remove and serve. ( you can also eat it straight out of the ramekin )
Lunch : Quinoa Taco Bowl
Cooked Ground Turkey
- Taco Seasoning
- Diced Tomato
** Keep in mind that I was trying to only use the ingredients I already had. Go crazy with black beans, avocado, cheese.. Whatever your heart desires or in your refrigerator **
- Reheat quinoa is a pot or in a microwave and put the desired amount of quinoa in a bowl. (please don't kill me for mentioning the forbidden reheating device that shall remain nameless)
- Place the cooked ground turkey, water, and taco packet in a skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Top quinoa mixture with ground turkey and then add chopped up cilantro and tomatoes
Dinner: Pan Seared Marinated Lamb Steaks over Quinoa
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves of Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1/4 tsp of salt, or taste
- 1/4 Fresh Ground Pepper, or to taste
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Zest of lemon ( 2 teaspoons )
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place lamb steaks in marinade and cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Marinate in the refrigerator about 4 hours or longer, if desired.
- Pan sear to desired doneness.
- Place on top of quinoa.
I hope this post inspires you to give your leftovers a second chance at life !